Saturday, March 9, 2013

How everything started.

When my teacher started talking about student exchanges at school, I immediately thought I wouldn't be allowed to go. I've already been to Estonia from the same school once, so I thought they'd like to give the opportunity to someone else. Luckily my school is full of people who apparently aren't interested in traveling AT ALL, so I had an opening and I used it! My teacher was in Iceland last year for couple of weeks, and he really liked the country. After his stories I decided I want to go there too, and he was really supportive of my decision. Time passed and I was really psyched up about Iceland, when all of a sudden I was told that I might not be able to go there after all. Iceland is actually a very popular exchange country it seems, and my teacher said there's already so many people from other schools going there that there might not be room for me. I was a bit confused since I had made up my mind several months ago, why hadn´t he contacted the coordinators in Iceland about my exchange? I was sad for a while, but then my teacher came up with a back-up plan: I'd go to Munich instead!

I wasn't very excited at first, but the idea grew on me, plus I already had friends there. The coordinator in Munich was so hard working, he kept looking for possible internship places for me and he even found a perfect apartment for me right from the center of the city. But jobs seemed to be under rocks. He kept asking around, I kept asking around and no one seemed to want free labor in their offices. When nothing came up, my teacher started proposing other countries for me. There were several countries/cities on the list and my head was spinning with all the possibilities: Estonia (again), Wales, Ireland, Bilbao, Slovakia, France, Paderborn...
Things were messed up, I was afraid to get excited about any of the places since I thought I wouldn't be able to go in the end anyway and I'd be disappointed. But apparently Munich was still the main target. Around the beginning of February we still hadn't made a decision. I was really starting to lose hope and get depressed since I'm the kind of person who likes to take her time and plan thing, I wanted to start booking flights and I also needed to make school assignments regarding my exchange country, but I just had no idea what was going to happen. Then, out of nowhere, my teachers brought up Iceland again.
"Maybe I should ask from Iceland too", he said.

Um, okay? I had assumed that he had asked already and they said no, but apparently the whole affair was an assumption, nothing had been confirmed. So what do you know, inquiry e-mail was sent and within two days the coordinators replied that they'd love to have me there!

So the lesson of the story is: DON'T ASSUME. CONFIRM.

I still feel a bit bad that I won't be going to Munich though. Because the coordinator there worked so hard. I hope he realises how much I appreciate his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment